A Day Without Coloring

A Day Without Coloring

The day started out like any other. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, and the coffee was dripping it’s way into a potful of caffeinated magic. I woke up on my own, lazily, without an alarm, around 9:00 am, which was perfectly fine because it was Saturday,  and it was my day off. I was free to use my time doing whatever I wanted, and today, all I wanted to do was color!

I slowly made my way into the kitchen to pour myself a mugful of energizing bliss and went to the fridge to grab some eggs and bread to make a light breakfast. When I opened the egg carton, it was empty. That’s fine, I told myself. I’ll just have the toast. My arteries could use a break, and toast sounded like a nice, simple breakfast to enjoy while picking out a new page to color. I glanced over at my kitchen table which was chock full of markers, gel pens, colored pencils, and my two newest coloring books. Oh man! I couldn’t wait to get started!

Peeking back into the fridge, I noticed my bread bag sitting there completely empty, aside from the two crusty end pieces I hadn’t bothered to throw away the day before. So, no eggs and no bread. Cereal then. No cereal. No milk for that matter. Oatmeal? Nope. Nada. I told myself I must have something to eat before getting started on my day-long coloring adventure, so a quick trip to the grocery store was in order. A bit unplanned but no biggie.

Getting dressed, I mentally made out my grocery list. Eggs, bread, milk, yada, yada. Easy peasy. I’ll quickly run in and run out and be home in…Rrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiip!

What the heck? Was that my pants? Did my pants just rip? I ran to my mirror, turned around and sure enough, there was a giant gaping hole in the seat of my pants. I couldn’t believe that my pants ripped. I didn’t think I squatted down with that much intensity. I looked around sheepishly even though I live by myself.

After I put on a different pair of pants, I grabbed my purse and keys and went downstairs to the parking lot of my apartment complex. I jumped over a few puddles on my way to the car and figured it must have rained pretty hard overnight. The idea of a good, hard rainfall made me smile. Rain was my favorite type of weather. It always made me happy. I loved the sound, the smell, and the feel of rain. I got to my car, unlocked the door and sat down. All of the sudden my lower back, butt, and thighs were completely wet. I glanced up at my windows, and sure enough, they were open about an inch. They were open about an inch, all night long. In the rain.

I got out of the car, ran back upstairs and put on another pair of pants and grabbed a plastic bag to sit on. On my way out the door for the second time, I looked over at my kitchen table. All those coloring supplies were calling my name, begging me to sit down and get started. I knew I must forge on, however, as my morning was quickly passing by.

At the grocery store, I collected my much needed provisions and made my way to an open checkout lane. Just before getting in line I heard my name being called. I turned around in two different directions before finally seeing my friend Joanna frantically waving at me while she raced her cart down the aisle in my direction. I love Joanna, but she’s a talker, and I really just wanted to get home and start coloring. I tried to hurry my way into the checkout line, hoping another customer would quickly get in behind me.

vintage-1314047_1920I didn’t make it in time. Joanna was by my side in seconds and, without delay, was telling me about the wonderful bargain she found on ground beef just a few moments before. She had this really beautiful black and white patterned blouse on, and all I could think about was getting some markers and coloring in the patterns on her shirt.

My mission came back into focus, and I told Joanna I had to run, I had major plans for the day. She trotted off mumbling something about sour cream, and I got in line and checked out.

I made my way home, put the groceries away, and had just seated myself at the table, eyeballing my markers, when the phone rang. Seriously? Now what? I answered the phone with a very dramatic eye-roll and was greeted by another friend, Becky, who began to beg me to accompany her to the citywide garage sale event at the civic center. I started to protest until she reminded me of the infamous mini donut stand they set up outside of the center each year. I still hadn’t eaten yet, and the idea of the soft, sweet, melt-in-your-mouth donuts was too much to resist. I told Becky I was in.  I looked at my coloring books and vowed I would devote my whole evening to coloring when I returned home.

Three hours, four t-shirts, a cat figurine, and two bags of mini donuts later, I was home. It was three o’clock, and my feet were aching from walking around all afternoon. I sat down in my favorite comfy chair and thought about what I wanted to make for supper. The sugar high I had gotten from the donuts had since worn off, and I was noticeably drowsy. I really wanted to color, but apparently thinking about what to make for supper was not exciting enough to keep me from drifting off.  Soon I was fast asleep and dreaming about the coloring I had been wanting to do all day.

There I was in my dream, sipping a cup of hot tea, surrounded by all my coloring books and coloring supplies. Important decisions had to be made. What picture to color? Markers or gel pens? Colored pencils? All three? I drank my tea and began coloring a delightful picture of a country garden. I was feeling peaceful and relaxed without a care in the world. I colored picture after picture with amazing precision and talent. My shading was perfect, my color choices complemented each other beautifully, and I was having the time of my life.

I was just starting a new picture when I heard this strange, buzzing noise. It continued on and off in steady intervals. I was getting annoyed. Why isn’t someone dealing with that awful noise? Doesn’t anyone else hear that? I started to stand up in order to investigate, and suddenly, I realized the noise was actually my alarm clock. I peeled open my eyes, hit snooze and looked at the time. It was nine o’clock in the morning. I must have slept through the night.

Starving, I made my way to the kitchen and poured myself a mug of coffee. I went to the fridge to grab some eggs and bread to make a light breakfast. The egg carton was empty, and I had no bread. I could have sworn I went to store yesterday. Wait, where is my garage sale bag? I checked my phone and realized it was Saturday morning. The whole ordeal was just a dream! I was so glad that I still had a whole day ahead of me to color, because a day without coloring can be quite an adventure, but it’s not a perfect day!

1 Comment for “A Day Without Coloring”



Oh, didn’t see the ending coming! Too funny! But would be a scary thought of totally ‘missing’ the day off and not color! Especially when you were soooo intently looking forward to the day. Love the story, thanks.

Leave a Reply